Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I be back

Ah, so you may or may not have noticed that I am back! :)

Court went well, with no problems like I have had previously, but this isnt some place where I can discuss that.

Aside from that, I actully put my blog back a while ago, life has just been a bit hectic, which is actully a really good thing.

In the last couple of weeks, it feels like the mist around me has finally lifted. There are many reasons for this, I think, such as medication levels being played with, time away from hospital, the court case being over. Thats not to say that my mood and such is perfect, but it is way better than it was a few months ago. Over Christmas and probably before then, I was feel very fragile. I had given up hope of things getting better and I was filled with resentment and no real purpose or goals in life. My time seemed to be come home, rest and get over surgery, spend a few days catching up on things like paper work, laundry and appointments. Book my next round of transport and hotels and then go back for surgery again. I had such high tolerances to the pain meds, that coming around, morphine no longer even touched my pain and I was needing IV ketamine followed by oral ketamine.

Now I am being careful not to blame the hospital to much, else I will end up dreading my next admission, but over the last year so much of my life has revolved around hospitals, admissions and appointments, kinda like a bad relationship. You dont realise just how much it has been taking out of you, until its suddenly not anymore. But that is no reason to never have relationships again. Or at least that is what I am telling myself.

But little things are slowly changing and I am being careful not to change them all at once, else I know I wont keep it up. I have cut down a lot on the junk that I was eating, hoping to lose a bit of weight, but we shall see. I am eating healthier and slowly trying foods that I wouldnt even try not so long ago. I ate red cabbage the other, I have started drinking tea (typically british, though I prefare lose leaf earl grey, black with just a touch of sugar) This week I have started drinking espresso, which is something that I never thought that I would be able to drink, but I am actully liking it, it gives me a bit of a boost when I have no energy. I am eating a lot more fruit and though I still love my truck (scooter) I am pushing myself to walk further. I still get out of breath and I get lots of disgusted looks when I have a coughing fit, espcially when I find myself having to stick my head on the side of a shopping trolley, to keep my balance while my muscles cramp from the effort, but thats people for you and to be honest, if I heard someone coughing like I do, then I think I would stay as far away as possible. That being said, someone did tell me I was disgusting the other day and that I should go outside. I was in a pub having food with my parents and I just couldnt help it. Kinda ruined the mood, but again, some people suck.
Tea?


I am working on updating my wardrobe and have even been out today and bought a few new bits, including a little blazer jacket and some other items that I never thought I would wear. I am getting to that point, where I am too old really to wear hoodie jumpers and though they will always remain my go to comfort items, on days I feel up to it, its nice to wear something a little bit more classy. That being said, I am not ready to give up my jeans just yet. And of the course the most exciting thing about losing a little weight is getting back into my jeans that became to tight during my long admission.

hmm what else am I changing. Well, I am trying to go to bed earlier, doesnt always work, like tonight for example, but I used to make sure that I started my nebs by 1am, now I have pulled it back to 11pm (they take about 2 hours to run), though may work on getting it earlier once I find 11 easier. I have started setting my alarm clock for 10am and being out of bed by 11am. This week, I am working on getting over my fear of showers so instead of having a bath of a night time, and always putting it off so it ends up being about once a week, I have now started having one as soon as I get up, everyday, unless I know I am going to be out all day. If I am going to be out most of the day, I dont have the energy. It also means that I am dressed before 12, when normally, I would spend most of the day in my pjs. Overall I guess I am just feeling more alive and I am so thankful for it.

I am still working on moving my room about, always knew it would be a big job, but so far, gotten rid of so much stuff and it is not only nice to use but easier to keep clean. I promise pics once its done.

As for hospitals, right now I am avoiding an admission. I have just finished a 2 week course of cipro antibiotics and though I began to feel better on it, within 3 days of finishing them, I ache so much from coughing that I am hitting the painkillers again. The hospital, after many messages back and forth have decided to fit a port in my chest, to make IV meds easier, I am also hopeful that this will mean that I can run the meds at home instead of having to go into hospital. Fingers crossed on that one. They are also going to arrange some more sleep studies, to see if there is anything they can do to help my energy levels. I virtually always wake up feeling like I have not slept, I sleep for 10 hours plus most of the time as well as falling asleep during the day and finding it hard to wakeup. They want to look at my blood gases incase there is anything there. I doubt it will show up anything, but I am super thankful that they are still trying to help little moaning me.

As for London. London these days means two things. First off there is the side of it which I will refer to as medical, which is my appointments. I was there last week, and my trachea still looks red and inflammed, which is why breathing is still hard, but the inflammation also makes it easier to grow scar tissue again. Nothing they can do about that though, as they have already tried blasting it with all kinds. Breathing is still hard and you can hear me come from a way off, talking is also hard and often, I will talk and no sound will come out. It can take two or three attempts to get my words out and even then, only short quiet sentences. They want to try putting a stent in the airway to hold more of it open. I dont know how I feel about this. If I thought it would be straight forward, I would jump at it, but I have had issues with them in the past and the continual chest problems, can also add more problems to it. It could also mean another long admission. If it went straightforward, it would be a week, but complications could make it much longer. There is a possibility of going in in May, but I need to sort some stuff out first.

Now the other thing that London means, I am going to refer to as educational. Again, I am bound by what I can say, but I am working/helping out at UCL (university college london) on some medical trial stuff. I get to work with a bunch of people there including the professor that I met years ago. Its all very interesting and they are open to me doing as much as I want within the university. Last week I went on a course about research. I will write more about that next time, but it is so wonderful to feel useful again, to have even a slight purpose and who knows what it may lead to.

I was there last week. I travelled down on the Sunday and stayed with a friend. Spent Monday at the uni, tuesday I went to Camden with a friend I met on my last cruise and Wednesday I had clinic. It was a bit much in honesty. When my parents picked me up again on wednesday afternoon, I looked like crap and couldnt keep my eyes open, but it was worth it.


Right now, I am just so grateful so a huge amount of things. The uni for including me, the proferssor for having faith in me, my family for holding my up when I could no longer do it myself and my friends, for not only believing in me, but being supportive, yet truthful, for judging or arguing, even when conversations got hard and must have been difficult for them. For all the hospital staff, from cashiers, clinic nurses, drs, nurses and even cleaners, for treating me as a person and making hospital that little bit less icky. Without all of these people, I am sure I wouldnt have made it this far. And as I begin to rebuild myself and my life around my limitations, I can see that I would not have made it this far has it nto been for them, each and every person, in their own unquie way. So if you are reading this, Thank you. And to my followers, even the smallest of comments, can bring sunshine through a storm, can make you take a deep breath, rethink and retry. right now, I am still in the same place I was a few months ago, but now, I feel happy, like I have control of things and am in charge of my own destiny, no matter my limitations.

Anyway, long enough and rambling now. (but then name of the blog suggests it)
Night


Horsing around in Camden

1 comment:

  1. i think your attitude is wonderful. small achievements, being happy about getting up earlier and tidying your room, getting dressed sooner in the day......I agree with this. I am trying to be content with very small things myself these days. it just seems great the way you keep on trying.

    ReplyDelete